Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 13: Genesis 32-36

This is Day 13 in my Daily Walk Journey. I'm following along with Your Daily Walk, by Bruce H. Wilkinson. Today's reading was about The Struggles of Jacob and Esau.

Genesis 32: "Jacob's Encounter with an Angel" (Jacob's Struggles with Esau)
Genesis 33: "Jacob's Encounter with Esau" (Jacob's Struggles with Esau)
Genesis 34: "Dinah's Encounter with Shechem" (Jacob's Family Struggles)
Genesis 35-36: "Jacob's Encounter with God" (Jacob's Family Struggles)

The heart of today's passage lies in Genesis 32.


Overview:
After his departure from Laban, Jacob fears the reunion with his brother Esau, who he deceived twenty years earlier. Before the meeting, Jacob wrestles with God, demands a blessing, and leaves with a new name. No longer a "deceiver," Jacob's name changes to Israel, which means "God strives." Jacob's reunion with Esau is a happy one, and God renews His promises to Jacob.


Daily Walk:
God richly blessed Jacob with wealth and material possessions. Jacob realizes these things come from God, and he is not worthy of them.


Reflect on the material possessions God has given you. Is it so you can be a blessing to others? If so, who?
  • God has given us so much. We have more than we need right now, and I am extremely grateful.
  • I would love to do something good with some of our money. Ideally, I think sponsoring a child in a third world country would be an amazing thing to do.
Acts 20:35
"In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner, you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

Your response:
What blessings has God given you, and how can you use those blessings to help others? Are you ready to make those changes in your life today? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and insights from my own time studying the Bible. I hope to encourage others to spend time reading the Bible every day. I am not trying to teach, instruct, or push my thoughts on others. Please feel free to share your own thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment