Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 7: Genesis 15-17

This is Day 7 in my Daily Walk Journey. I'm following along with Your Daily Walk, by Bruce H. Wilkinson. Today's reading was about God's Covenant with Abraham.

Genesis 15: "Abrahamic Covenant Given" (Isaac Promised)
Genesis 16: "Abram's Impatience" (Ishmael Born)
Genesis 17: "Abrahamic Covenant Repeated" (Isaac Promised) v. 1-21
                    "Abraham's Obedience" (Ishmael's Blessing) v. 22-27

The heart of today's passage lies in Genesis 12:1-9 and Genesis 13:14-18.

Thanks to http://www.free-stories.net/children-bible-stories/old-testament-stories for this photo.

Overview:
God establishes a covenant with Abraham, confirms it with a treaty, repeats it, and seals it with the sign of circumcision. When years pass without fulfillment (Abraham fathering a son), Abraham becomes impatient. He has a son through Sarah's maid, Hagar, who he names Ishmael. Ishmael causes Abraham grief in later years and serves as a constant reminder of Abraham's lack of faith.

Daily Walk:
What fears paralyze me the most?
  • Fear of Failure: After quitting my job as a nurse, and quitting graphic design after one semester (due to moving across the country), I am scared of going after the "wrong" career again. I don't want to feel like I fail, and I don't want to let anyone down.
  • Fear of the Unknown: I have no idea where to turn in my career, when we'll ever be able to travel, when we'll have kids, when my husband will be able to leave his job and work for himself, how long we'll live here, or where we'll end up living long term.
Lesson:
Obey God's Will, and you will have the last amount of regrets. Trust God to lead you in the right direction.

My prayer today:
Dear God,
Please guide me to make the right decisions in my life. Give me wisdom and strength as I follow you. Please help me keep my faith strong in you, and trust that you have a plan for me.
Amen.

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and insights from my own time studying the Bible. I hope to encourage others to spend time reading the Bible every day. I am not trying to teach, instruct, or push my thoughts on others. Please feel free to share your own thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment