Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 9: Step Back

This is Day 9 in my Daily Walk Journey. I'm following along with Your Daily Walk, by Bruce H. Wilkinson. Today, we took a break from our reading in Genesis to focus on an overview of The Abrahamic Covenant.

Scripture Reading:
Hebrews 8:6-12
Galations 3:6-9

Thanks to http://www.searchingthescriptures.net/main_pages/free_bible_clip-art.htm for this image.

Step Back:
God made a promise to Abraham regarding his future (Genesis 12). Then He made a covenant (Genesis 15, 17). He is a God of His word. After years passed with no son, Abraham was doubtful. So hd and Sarah took matters into their own hands and Abraham fathered a son through Sarah's maid, Hagar.

Look Up:
We have an advantage to keep our faith strong that Abraham and Sarah did not have. The Bible is filled with records of God's promises and His fulfillments. God always follows through on His promises.

Hebrews 8:6-12
"But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises. For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand  to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them," declares the Lord.

"This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

This is my understanding of the passage:
  • This passage indicates a New Covenant. The old covenant was flawed. Israel did not keep the old covenant, and God did not care for them after.
  • New Covenant: (When you become saved) God will put His laws in your mind and write them on our hearts. 
  • He will be our God, and we are His people. 
  • We will all know Him. 
  • He will be merciful to our iniquities and remember our sins no more!
My prayer today:
Thank you, God, for your loving sacrifice. That you sent Your Son to die on the cross for my sins, that I may have a relationship with You and eternal life! Amen.


Move Ahead:
Galatians 3:6-9
"So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”
So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith."

This is my understanding of the passage:
  • As those who believe, we are children of Abraham and ineritors of his blessing!
  • God intends for me to be a blessing to the world. 
Your response:
God intends for all of us to be a blessing to the world. Are you an encouragement for your family, friends, and coworkers? Are you showing them the way to our trustworthy God? These are all things I know I can personally work on. What are ways you can become more of a blessing to others? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and insights from my own time studying the Bible. I hope to encourage others to spend time reading the Bible every day. I am not trying to teach, instruct, or push my thoughts on others. Please feel free to share your own thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment