Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 5: Genesis 10-11

This is Day 5 in my Daily Walk Journey. I'm following along with Your Daily Walk, by Bruce H. Wilkinson. Today's reading was about Babel and the Spread of Nations.

Genesis 10: "Descendants of Japeth, Ham, and Shem" (Noah's Family Tree)
Genesis 11: "Old Problem: Pride, New Problem: Languages, New Focus: Abram" (Deluge of Judgment)

The heart of this passage lies in Genesis 11:1-9, 27-32.

Thanks to http://www.logoi.com/pastimages/tower_of_babel.html for this photo

Overview:
Noah and his sons repopulate the world, but man's heart is still full of sin, resulting in proud, disobedient actions. The Tower of Babel is an example of their rebellion against God - refusing to scatter across the earth. God intervenes by scrambling their languages, causing them to spread out and fill the earth.

Daily Walk:
Disobeying God carries consequences. Adam and Eve were evicted from the Garden of Eden. Mankind (except Noah and his family) was destroyed by the catastrophic Flood. And the Tower of Babel (man's pride and disobedience to God) caused the confusion of languages.

Lesson:
When God commands or directs us to do something, it is always in our best interest to obey. The Bible illustrates the rewards of obedience and the punishment for disobedience. God always has our best interest at heart and can see the bigger picture that we cannot.

I will save myself some grief today if I obey God by...
  • Praying daily for guidance
  • Trusting that He is in control and has a plan for my life
  • Praising God for all of our blessings
  • Loving my husband, trusting and respecting him
  • Spending time in worship and fellowship with other Christians every week by going to church
Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and insights from my own time studying the Bible. I am not trying to teach, instruct, or push my thoughts on others. Please feel free to share your own thoughts and opinions.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment